Thursday, October 30, 2014

Think About It Thursday - Halloween Costumes for Mom & Dad

Our kids love for us to dress up on Halloween too...but I always seem to find myself scrambling for quick and easy costume ideas for Mom and Dad around 3PM on Halloween. I spend most of my time and energy on the kids' costumes and then end up being something totally uninspired. (AKA pulling some cast off prop from years past out of the Halloween box and going with it.)

This year, I decided to start a little earlier (as in one whole day!) and come up with some ideas that would be just as fun for us as for the kids - but wouldn't cause me any stress in the time and energy department! Most of these costumes you can throw together with things you have around the house and maybe a quick run to the $.99 cent store or Party City.


If I trusted myself to roller skate around our neighborhood without injuring myself (or someone else) I'd totally be that Roller Disco Girl - love the idea of incorporating a balloon into the costume! And if my hair were darker, I'd be Holly Golightly in two seconds (especially since we just got new kittens!)

Flight Attendent

Don a white dress shirt and a pencil skirt or slacks, put your hair in a low bun, tie a scarf around your neck and grab your rolly bag! Add some bright red lips and you are all set to fly the friendly skies.

Ice Cream Cone/Sundae

Make your own "sprinkles" out of brightly colored cardstock and add them to a white top with thread and a needle or hot glue. Make a red balloon, cherry headband and don some kitchy sunglasses and you'll be sweet as a sundae. The brown skirt adds to the ice cream cone idea, but isn't a must!

Masked Bandits/Burglars

Surely you have dark pants and a striped shirt in your closet! Turn an old pillow case into a money bag with some paint or a black sharpie and find or make an eyemask. (I found one at Michael's for $1!) Add gloves and red lips to really up the anty and make this costume a STEAL!

Holly Golightly

A trench coat, some dark glasses, a BUMPit! and some jewels and you will be the most stylish girl to say "Trick or Tiffany's" your block has ever seen! Meow.

Pizza Delivery Boy & Slice

This one would take a little more prep than the rest...but it would only take a few pieces of colored poster board to make the pizza slice and there is something about the guy's headphones, backwards hat and bored face that I just love!

Roller Disco Girl

Is it embarrassing to admit I onw neon legwarmers and white rollerskates? If you're shameless like me, then this costume is for you! Side ponytail and a disco ball mylar balloon (or you could make your own with an oversized balloon and some silver glitter) and you are set! 

Mary Poppins & Bert

I was Mary Poppins in my elementary school play - so this costume pulls on my sentimental heart strings! With a few pieces from your closet, a red umbrella and red ribbon and you are almost there. Add a black hat embellished with some silk flowers and you will be Practically Perfect in Every Way!

Laverne & Shirley

These would be such fun costumes to wear with my neighbor/BFF! Some items from our closets and some black ribbon and hot glue will help complete the look. Be sure and loop arms and skip down the street and you'll be "Making (Y)our Dreams Come True!"

You can find many more Last Minute Costumes for Mom & Dad on our "SPOOKtacular!" Pinboard

Clark Kent & Lois Lane, Where's Waldo & Wenda, Inspector Gadget and Carmen San Diego...just to name a few. Whatever you chose to be this Halloween, I hope it's fun and makes you laugh - and results in lots of candy! Or wine. Or Pumpkin Spiced anything...
Pick Your Poison! ~Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment