Thursday, July 24, 2014

Think About It Thursday - Summer Journaling

I don't know about you, but we are quick to forget about the "Three R's" here in the Summertime. Reading, wRiting and aRithmetic fall by the wayside to water balloons, barbeques and the beach! I wanted to come up with a fun way to keep the kids doing a little "school work" throughout the Summer that didn't feel like a chore.



I came up with a list of writing prompts and bought them each a Wide Ruled Notebook. (These notebooks are $1.50 at Target right now, and for each Up & Up school supply you buy, Target will give one to the Kids In Need Foundation! You know we at SydneyPaige LOVE THAT!) 

Then, I used a black sharpie to write each prompt at the top of a page. I left a blank page after each prompt in case it sparked a lot of writing, or the kids wanted to accompany their work with a drawing or photograph. It's my goal to have the kids complete a prompt 2-3 times a week. I'm going to aim for every other day til they head back to school.

We've completed two prompts so far and the kids seem excited about it! (They are nerds like me...easily excited by all things school/office supply related. lol) But seriously, I'm hoping this Summer Journal Project will be something they enjoy and begin to look forward to. The kids have been taking turns reading their journal entries out loud for the family at dinnertime. It's sparked some great conversations and laughter! -Erin

Print out our Summer Journal Prompts and get your kids "working" through their Summer too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment